A Briquette (or briquet ) is a compressed block of combustible biomass material such as saw dust, bagasse, wood chips groundnut shells, mustard stalks,cotton stalks etc. used for fuel in boilers and other heating applications. The term comes from French language and is related to bricks.In simple terms it is a compacted form of biomass and can be handled like coal. The process of compaction of residues into a product of higher density than the original raw material is also known as agglomeration, densification or briquetting.
Converting agro wastes or residues into a densified form some advantages :
• A densified material is easy for storage and transportation
• The process helps to solve the problems of disposal of agricultural waste
• The process increases the net calorific value per unit volume
• The fuel produced is environment friendly and higly economical than fossil fuels
• The product is uniform in size and quality